Most people want to work, but it has become more difficult in today's world to find work for everyone. The economy ( 经济 ) of the world needs to grow by 4% each year just to keep the old number of jobs for people. Often this is not possible, and so more people are out of work. Some people have no jobs now because new machines can do the work of many people in short time. Also, machines do not ask for more money and longer holiday. In all of the countries of the world, machines are taking work from people, not only in factories but also on the farms. One machine can often do the work from forty people. About 75,000 people are moving to the cities a day to look for jobs, but only 70% of them can find jobs.
1. It was _______ for people to find work before than today.
A. not possible B. difficult C. more difficult D. easier
2. If the economy of the world grows by 4% each year, _______ .
A. people will have no jobs B. people can still have jobs as before
C. 4% of the people will have jobs D. 97% of the people will have jobs
3. One machine can do as much work as _______ .
A. 40% of the people B. 4% of the people in the world
C. 40 people D. 75,000 people
4. How many people outside cities go into to look for jobs each day?
A. 70% of the people. B. 4% of the people in the world.
C. More than 75,000. D. About 75,000 people.
5. Which of the following is NOT true?
A. Machines are taking work instead of people.
B. Now more people are out of work.
C. Machines need more money and longer holidays.
D. Most people want to have jobs.
1. 由短文的第一句话 It has become more difficult in today's world to find work for everyone. 可知现在找工作比以前更困难，即以前找工作比现在容易得多。所以答案选 D 。
2. 由短文的第二句话 The economy of the world needs to grow by 4% each year just to keep the old number of jobs for the people. 准确地理解了这一句话的意思就能得出正确答案为 B 。
3. 由短文的倒数第二句话 One machine can often do the work of forty people. 可知此题的正确答案为 C 。
4. 此题根据原文的最后一句话可直接得出答案为 D 。
5. 此题在原文中都可找到答案，而 C 答案与作者的观点 Machines do not ask for more money and longer holiday. 不一致，所以选 C 。
A young man once went into town and bought himself a pair of trousers. When he got home, he went upstairs to his bedroom and put them on. He found that they were about two inches too long.
He came downstairs, where his mother and his two sisters were washing up tea things in the kitchen. “These new trousers are too long.” He said. “ They need shortening ( 缩短 )by about two inches. Would one of you mind doing this for me, please?” His mother and sisters were busy and none of them said anything.
But as soon as his mother had finished washing up, she went quietly upstairs to her son's bedroom and shortened the trousers by two inches. She came downstairs without saying anything to her daughters.
Later on, after supper, the elder sister remembered her brother's trousers. She was a kind-hearted girl, so she went quietly upstairs without saying anything to anyone, and shortened the trousers by two inches.
The younger sister went to the cinema, but when she came back, she , too, remembered what her brother had said. So she ran upstairs and took two inches off the legs of the new trousers.
1. The young man bought the new trousers _______ his size.
A. as long as B. two inches longer than
C. as big as D. two inches shorter than
2. He asked _______ to shorten his new trousers.
A. his mother and sisters B. his two sisters
C. his elder sister D. his mother and one of his sisters
3. His mother and sisters ________ .
A. agreed to do that B. didn't want to do that
C. said nothing to him D. said something to him
4. His elder sister shortened the trousers ________ .
A. after finished washing B. before she went to bed
C. when she came back from the cinema D. after having supper
5. The next morning the young man would find the trousers were _______ .
A. two inches shorter B. four inches shorter
C. six inches shorter D. eight inches shorter
1. B. 第一段的最后一句 He found that they were about two inches too long.
2. A. 年轻人提出缩短裤子的要求，这个要求是向在场的妈妈和他的两个姐妹提出的。
3. C. 因当时妈妈和姐妹俩都忙于干活，所以当时都没有回答他的话。
4. D. 从第四段的原句 (Later on, after supper, the elder sister remembered her brother's trousers) 中我们可知是晚饭后去把裤子缩短了。
5. C. 通读全文，知道有三人把裤子各缩短了两英寸，那么总共缩短了六英寸。